here’s a link to blogspot page for podcast originally broadcast on the 29 september 2004featuring interview with acclaimed whistler robert stemmons and footage from Greatness whistling event performed a week earlier at the cube cinema bristol
This program originally broadcast 7th July 2004 attempts to demonstrate the chromatic scale through appropriate songs.
1. Duke Ellington – Caravan (in Em but must have thought it was in C)
2. Hank Harry – Turn Around (C#m)
3. The Loft – Why Does The Rain (D)
4. Ray Charles – Somewhere Over The Rainbow (in Eb)
Paul Bradley talks
5. Organelles – Our Tunnel (starts in Em)
6. Django Reinhart – Nuages (in F)
7. Tom Waits – Walkin Spanish (F#m)
8. Lyndsey Cockwell – Scratched Folk (G)
9. Gerri Miller with The Magic Tramps – Mama Look At Me Now (Ab)
10. Silver Bullet Band – Don’t You Take It too Hard (A)
11. Jukes – Song Of Saints (Bb)
12. Marc Gauvin – Nadia (Bm)
This is the full Greatness Of The Magnificence Orchestra taking on the compositions of Morricone once again, this time at the prestigious St Georges Hall in Bristol. The band should be around 40 souls or so.
Here’s the poster:
The Flattened Fifth
1. Mars (The Bringer Of War) – Holst.
short chat with Prof Neil Smith from the University of Dissonation
2. Purple Haze – Jimi Hendrix
short chat with Mark Slater
3. Piece about Antoine Fabre d’Olivet (read by Maddy Longhurst)
4. Maria (from Westside story) – Leonard Bernstein
5. Devils Chord – Chikinki
6. Tritone subsitution – with Prof Neil smith
7. Is This Desire – PJ Harvey
8. The Simpsons Theme – Sonic Youth
10. Bull In The heather – Sonic Youth
11. Black Sabbath – Black Sabbath
Mark Slater flat 5 in history
12. Caprice 13 in B-flat Major “Devil’s Laugh” – Katrina Andreyevka
13. Ship Of Death – The Invisible Pair Of Hands
talk with Rasha from Mooz
14. Pepper Pot – Mooz
15. Blue Sands by Chico Hamilton Quintet
16. Raised Four – Thelonius Monk
The Tower Of Song is a music themed radio show made for Dialect Radio in Bristol in 2005. Themes have included: the flattened fifth, the minor 9th, Whistling, The Wind, Flutes, Musical Crimes, Sadness, Modes… and so on
All the shows will soon be available as podcasts.
Heres a list of shows we did. I’ll Add them when we find them.
This event featuring songs once performed by Chet Baker had an amazing house band: Clive Deamer – Drums; Dan Moore Keys, Jim Barr – Bass; Adrian Utley – Guitar; Dolan Jones, Pete judge and Dave Mowett – Trumpet.
Also Paul Bradley and Neil Smith – Guitar. There was a great mix of music professionals and um non-professionals and one of the few times you’ll hear Clive Deamer or Pete Judge singing.
If anyone has any pictures of this please send my way or post. Here’s most of the evening on mixcloud. Or here’s the podcast:
In association with friends of Maria Tzardi from Athens, we organised a short trip to Greece for: Jukes, MorningStar, Patrick Duff, Mooz, Don Mandarin, War Against Sleep, Plug and the Invisible Pair Of Hands.
8 bands consising of 12 people (illustrated above by Jim) who were: Rasha Shaheen, Amy Jarlett, Tammy Payne, Paula James, Jessica Marlowe, Jim Barr, Duncun flemming, Rich Beale, Jesse Vernon, Patrick Duff, Adam Coombs and Sebastien Carbonelle (who came from belgium).
The three nights we staying in Athens were all together in a bed and breakfast. very nice!
Duncan later edited a short video of the trip
The shows were mostly in The Small Music Theatre in Athens which we played three consecutive nights. Then we got the train to Salonika.
Patrick, Sebastien and Adam
Rasha and Jesse
Invisible Pair Of Hands with guest sax player, tammy and rasha sing